ChanHealth inspections typically don't mention employees' feet, but the one from Chang's Hong Kong Cuisine does. A health inspector stopped an employee mid-stride as he "started to place his foot into the three-compartment sink" near thawing shrimp.
That October 8 inspection resulted in a 38-demerit C grade.
The Dirty Dining repeat offender on Decatur near Tropicana has been in business for nearly a decade and been shut down by the Health District five times.
On October 8, inspectors saw improper handwashing by multiple employees including one who was handling raw pork.
There was expired half and half two weeks past its best by date, duck thawing next to dirty dishes and a repeat major violation for flies the in kitchen.
Other violations included racks in the walk-in cooler that were dirty and held together with tape, and pork, shrimp, tofu, pot stickers, cooked vegetables and scallops that were at unsafe temperatures and had to be thrown out.
Inspectors watched someone pick up a plate from the floor and put it on a food contact surface.
A dirty hose with raw pork on it was placed in a clean dish bin and dirty wiping cloths with no sanitizer were being used to clean food contact surfaces and teapots.
Also, the sink was not washed and sanitized before being used to thaw food.
The owner told us she did not speak English. Through a translator, she declined to make any comment.
Food Safety Consultant Tim Moulson, who's working with the restaurant, sent a statement saying, "About a month ago they received an A and have had an A since the new owners took over late last year. Right after they got their last A, I taught ServSafe to the owner. I did not do an inspection at that time. When SNHD came in on a complaint visit, the owner was at the market and the manager was on vacation. We had a training session with the entire staff on October 17."
Chang's was reinspected October 23 and got their A grade back with zero demerits.
The other restaurant with a violation involving an employee's feet was Chengdu Laozao Hotpot on Spring Mountain between Jones and Lindell.
It got a 39-demerit C grade on October 9.
Inspectors saw a food handler tie his shoes and then touch kitchen equipment without washing his hands. Another was eating and then touching food equipment without washing hands. The inspector couldn't instruct them on proper handwashing due to a language barrier.
The rice warmer and scoops were stored on a table outside the kitchen near the hallway to the restrooms and an employee was eating at the cookline.
Prawns were uncovered in the freezer and frozen meats were not wrapped or protected from contamination.
The person in charge was not knowledgeable about basic food safety and there was a malodor present in the women's restroom.
Inspectors noted that the facility has continued to show non-compliance with Health District regulations and must attend intervention training.
Chengdu Laozao Hotpot still has a C grade.
We left a message for the manager but our call was not returned.
Pita Plus on Las Vegas Boulevard and Harmon got a 39-demerit C grade on October 12. Inspectors noted improper handwashing, a bag of brown, slimy lettuce in the fridge and hot dogs at unsafe temperatures.
There was also grease build-up on clean dishes, shelves and the ceiling and no sanitizer set up when inspectors arrived.
Multiple flies were seen throughout the facility on walls, cutting boards and the make table.
Lettuce, onion and other foods were stored in plastic grocery bags and there was dirt and food debris accumulated on floors and under equipment.
Pita Plus has scheduled reinspection but still has a C grade.
We left voicemail asking for comment but our call was not returned.
The sports bar inside Primm Valley Resort and casino was shut down October 10 for a multi-generational cockroach infestation. There were also an excessive amount of live fruit flies throughout the bar and hundreds of dead flies and cockroaches on glue boards.
Inspectors found live pests in cracked bar gun lines, which were leaking and causing rot in the floor tiles--a possible breeding site for pests.
Floors were dirty and inspectors also found broken glass and debris.
The sports bar reopened October 12 with a zero-demerit A grade.
We left voicemail for the food and beverage manager but our call was not returned.
McDonald's on Nevada Highway in Boulder City is a Dirty Dining repeat offender. It was shut down October 10 after inspectors verified a customer complaint about a cockroach infestation.
There were multi-generational roaches throughout the facility and dirty conditions and leaking grease didn't help matters.
Inspectors required a deep cleaning as well as sealing of all gaps, holes and crevices.
Local McDonald's Owner/Operator Abe Martinez sent a statement saying, “The health and safety of my customers and employees are our top priorities. We took immediate action to address the issue and reopened the next day with a zero-demerit A grade.”
Onion Steak and Sub near Cheyenne and the 215 was shut down October 12 for no hot water, but that's because the inspector stumbled upon that imminent health hazard while investigating a complaint.
The complainant said "the manager was drinking beer on the job and the staff is full of minors." The complainant also said they got sick from the chicken and saw the manager grab ketchup bottles out of the trash can and add them to new ketchup.
The inspector was unable to validate the complaint but did shut the place down when she discovered them operating without hot water.
Onion Steak & Sub reopened with a 6-demerit A grade on October 15.
John, the owner, says they had a problem with a circuit in their hot water heater which they fixed. In regards to the complaint, he says he was so shocked when the inspector told him about it that he couldn't think, adding that they'd been having problems with employees.
Documents from the Southern Nevada Health District
Onion Steak & Sub inspection report
Primm Valley Sports Bar inspection report
Primm Valley Sports Bar closure
Chengdu Laozao Hotpot inspection report