LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Las Vegas police are announcing the arrest of a teenager suspected of helping to carry out crippling cyberattacks on local casino properties in 2023.
The arrest is the latest development in the ongoing investigation of ransomware attacks on MGM and Caesars properties.
WATCH | Channel 13 is following the latest developments Sept. 19, 2025
In a press release on Friday, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department characterized the attacks as "sophisticated network intrusions." The attacks are being attributed to "an organized threat-actor group known by several names to include Scattered Spider, Octo Tempest, UNC3944, and/or 0ktapus," according to LVMPD.
National
FBI warns infamous cybercriminal group 'Scattered Spider' targeting US airlines
Police say the investigation led them to a teenage male suspect who was not identified publicly due to his age.
On Sept. 17, he was booked into the Clark County Juvenile Detention Center for six charges, including:
- Three counts of obtaining and using personal identifying information of another person to harm or impersonate
- One count of extortion
- One count of conspiracy to commit extortion
- One count of unlawful acts regarding computers
According to police, the Clark County District Attorney's Office may transfer the teen's case to the criminal division, where he could face charges as an adult.
You'll probably recall the hacks that made headlines across the country in 2023, which MGM Resorts CEO Bill Hornbuckle described as "corporate terrorism at its finest."
In separate Securities and Exchange Commission filings, MGM and Caesars both reported experiencing cyberattacks that disrupted their operations. The hacks reportedly cost both companies tens of millions of dollars and exposed the personal information of thousands of customers in their respective loyalty programs. MGM Resorts maintains it did not pay any ransom to the hackers.
This teen isn't the first to be arrested on suspicion of their involvement in the attacks. In July 2024, a 17-year-old United Kingdom resident was charged with blackmail and computer misuse acts, Channel 13 previously reported.
And in November 2024, federal charges were filed against five people believed to be involved in the Scattered Spider cybercrime group.
NOVEMBER 2024 | Alyssa Bethencourt gets insight from a cybersecurity expert about the arrests:
The investigation is being led by the FBI's Las Vegas Cyber Task Force, which includes LVMPD's Cyber Investigative Group, police said.
Anyone with information that could help the ongoing investigation is asked to contact LVMPD's Cyber Investigative Group by emailing cig@lvmpd.com. Anonymous tips can be made through Crime Stoppers by calling 702-385-5555 or online at crimestoppersofnv.com.
-
Jurors hear 'Keefe D' say his nephew fired fatal shots at Tupac in 1996 drive-by
It was the first time Davis directly discussed his involvement in the killing with authorities. The interview is essential evidence in the state's case against the 63-year-old Davis.
Las Vegas nonprofit founder jailed on $200K bond for sex crimes charges
Hope for Prisoners founder Jon Ponder was in court Thursday morning to answer for at least 20 charges related to allegations that he sexually abused inmates. Mary Kielar reports the latest from inside the courtroom.
Las Vegas nonprofit founder jailed on $200K bail for sex crimes charges
Jon Ponder, the founder of Hope for Prisoners, was in court Thursday to answer for at least 20 new charges related to the alleged sexual abuse of incarcerated people.
Dog trainer arrested after bulldog dies of heat stroke, arrest report says
A necropsy confirmed the cause of death as disseminated intravascular coagulation and multisystem organ failure secondary to heat stroke and manner as “non-accidental,” according to the report.