MESQUITE (KTNV) — Former Mesquite police chief Joseph MaQuade Chesley is facing criminal charges for allegedly improperly recording at Henderson City Hall.
The department said the charges were filed by the Clark County District Attorney's Office after multiple people reported the allegations to MPD.
According to the department, it began an investigation after the allegations were made and then handed over its investigation to the district attorney's office for review. MPD said the DA's office determined there was "sufficient cause to file charges" against Chesley.
The department said the city of Mesquite is not prosecuting the case and has not brought any charges against Chesley.
"The Mesquite Police Department remains committed to the fair administration of justice. We take all reports of criminal conduct seriously and conduct investigations with professionalism, integrity, and impartiality, regardless of the individuals involved," the department said in a press release.
Chesley was terminated by city council in March 2025, following allegations of misconduct, including threatening officers and retaliation.
During public comment at a March 2025 city council meeting, officers and residents said they had been threatened by the chief.
RELATED STORY: Mesquite city council ousts police chief following allegations of misconduct
-
Driver arrested for DUI after crashing into UNLVPD vehicle, police say
It happened just after 5 a.m. near the intersection of Flamingo and Cambridge, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
Suspect in fatal shooting at Las Vegas Five Below store now behind bars
After nearly a month on the run, police announced the arrest of a 19-year-old man sought in connection with a fatal shooting inside a Las Vegas Five Below Store. Mary Kielar has the reaction from local shoppers.
Report: Father charged after intentionally crashing car with 3-year-old inside
Jesus Gonzalez reportedly drove his car into a tree at Centennial Center Boulevard near Azure Drive on Friday, July 10, all the while with his three-year-old son in the backseat.
Police: Suspect in fatal Las Vegas Five Below shooting arrested in California
David Vasquez was arrested by San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies on July 13. The 19-year-old is accused of entering a Five Below store and shooting an employee.