HENDERSON (AP) — New Las Vegas Raiders coach Klint Kubiak wasted little time in choosing his offensive and defensive coordinators since being hired less than a week ago.
Raiders defensive line coach and run game coordinator Rob Leonard was officially elevated to defensive coordinator on Sunday.
Now leading the defense.
— Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) February 15, 2026
Rob Leonard, Defensive Coordinator.
📰 https://t.co/eodvw2f8N5 pic.twitter.com/QbB26jvxcC
Seahawks quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko will follow Kubiak from Seattle to be the offensive coordinator, a person with knowledge of the hiring process said Sunday.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity regarding Janocko because that transaction has not been announced.
Kubiak did what the two previous Las Vegas coaches did in selecting a defensive coordinator — look within the staff. Leonard was the defensive line coach the past three seasons and added the title of run game coordinator in 2025 under then-coach Pete Carroll.
Carroll and his predecessor, Antonio Pierce, kept Patrick Graham in charge of the defense upon becoming the Raiders' coach. Graham now is the defensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
In retaining Leonard, Kubiak also could be looking for a way to mend ties with star pass rusher Maxx Crosby. Relations between Crosby and the Raiders became frayed when the organization placed him on injured reserve with a knee injury with two games left last season. Crosby left the team facility upon receiving the news.
Crosby, who underwent surgery last month, said during a recent appearance on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd" that reports he wanted to be traded came from other people and not him. But Crosby, wearing Raiders gear and speaking from the team facility, also did not deny such talk.
As for the 38-year-old Leonard, the Raiders allowed 3.9 yards per rush last season, tied for second in the NFL. They also were third in tackles for loss with 105.
Raiders
The Raiders name Mike McCoy as assistant head coach
The Raiders were in the middle of the pack in run defense in allowing 116.8 yards per game. But the defense often got worn down because Las Vegas was last in the field in average time of possession at 28:02.
The 37-year-old Janocko will receive a promotion in the move to the Raiders. He and Kubiak were on the Seahawks' staff, with Kubiak serving as the play caller for the Seahawks' Super Bowl-winning team.
Kubiak plans to still call plays, but made a point at his introductory news conference on Tuesday that it's not a one-man operation.
“I’ve never called the game by myself,” Kubiak said. “That’s something we do as a coaching staff together. We plan together. We communicate on game day together — quarterback coach, pass game coordinator, run game coordinator.”
Watch Channel 13 sports reporter Alex Eschelman's interview with head coach Klint Kubiak:
Janocko worked directly with Seahawks quarterback Sam Darnold this past season.
Darnold completed 67.7% of his passes for 4,048 yards with 25 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Drafted third overall by the New York Jets in 2018, Darnold was considered a bust until leading Minnesota to a 14-win season in 2024. Then came another 14-win season with the Seahawks that culminated with Darnold hoisting the Lombardi trophy.
-
NBA's Adam Silver to consider changing draft lottery, revoking picks to stop teams from tanking
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver believes teams are tanking more aggressively this season than the league has ever seen before, and he is considering many possible remedies to ensure real competition, from taking away draft picks to making wholesale changes to the draft and the lottery
Klint Kubiak talks faith, family and football
While Raiders' new head coach Klint Kubiak describes the opportunity of taking over the Silver and Black as a blessing, far more than football defines the 38-year-old.
Knights in the Morning: Hanifin honors his dad
Vegas Golden Knights player Noah Hanifin honors his dad when wearing his hockey fights cancer jersey.
Super Bowl averages 124.9M viewers in US, Bad Bunny's halftime 128.2 million, both short of records
Seattle's Super Bowl victory over New England on Sunday night didn't break viewership records
