LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Las Vegas Motor Speedway awakened Saturday afternoon for the Alsco 300, but without a crowd watching amid the coronavirus pandemic.
LV MOTOR SPEEDWAY: No fans for September races due to COVID-19
“It’s the first race in the Nascar Xfinity Series Playoffs, two of the drivers are Las Vegas drivers,” says Jeff Motley, Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS).
The only people allowed inside the speedway this year are racers, crews, officials and media.
Motley says LVMS feels for fans who are itching to watch races in person once again.
RELATED: No fans at NASCAR South Point 400 this weekend
“We really miss our race fans,” says Motley. “We know they love coming here and what we can really do is put on a great show for those watching on television.”
LVMS submitted plans to the state earlier this month to allow fans to attend this weekend’s races but were denied.
Motley says they’re hoping for two NASCAR weekends next year with fans.
“We want to have fans back as soon as possible and hopefully we’ll get our schedule for 2021 out soon,” he said.
The speedway is working with ticket holders to discuss a refund or credits when it comes to this year's events.