MESQUITE (KTNV) — Former Mesquite police chief Joseph MaQuade Chesley is facing criminal charges for allegedly improperly recording at Henderson City Hall.
The department said the charges were filed by the Clark County District Attorney's Office after multiple people reported the allegations to MPD.
According to the department, it began an investigation after the allegations were made and then handed over its investigation to the district attorney's office for review. MPD said the DA's office determined there was "sufficient cause to file charges" against Chesley.
The department said the city of Mesquite is not prosecuting the case and has not brought any charges against Chesley.
"The Mesquite Police Department remains committed to the fair administration of justice. We take all reports of criminal conduct seriously and conduct investigations with professionalism, integrity, and impartiality, regardless of the individuals involved," the department said in a press release.
Chesley was terminated by city council in March 2025, following allegations of misconduct, including threatening officers and retaliation.
During public comment at a March 2025 city council meeting, officers and residents said they had been threatened by the chief.
RELATED STORY: Mesquite city council ousts police chief following allegations of misconduct
-
Police investigation underway after shots fired on Las Vegas Boulevard
Las Vegas police are investigating a possible shooting at a gas station on the Las Vegas Strip on Saturday afternoon.
Suspect carjacks taxi during police pursuit through southwest Las Vegas
One person is in custody after leading police on a chase and carjacking a taxi in southwest Las Vegas on Friday night.
[RAW VIDEO] Traffic camera shows police response to taxi carjacking in southwest Las Vegas
A traffic camera near St. Rose Parkway and Bermuda Road shows police activity after a lengthy pursuit of a carjacked taxi in southwest Las Vegas.
Driver in fatal 12-car crash argues case should be DUI, not murder
Jose Gutierrez's attorney has filed a new motion asking to have murder charges dismissed in the northwest Las Vegas crash that killed three people.