MESQUITE (KTNV) — Authorities in Mesquite rescued 77 dogs from inside an RV last week, and another 33 dogs were recovered on Tuesday, according to the Mesquite Police Department.
The department said it and Mesquite Animal Control has responded to numerous complaints over the past few months about a home with "an excessive number of dogs."
Police said the owner of the dogs, identified as Giustino Laudando, violated city animal ordinances and was issued multiple citations. According to police, Laudando was arrested on two separate occasions for failing to comply with the cited violations.
Laudando was evicted from his residence earlier this year and stated at the time that he would be leaving Nevada with the animals. Police said officers learned that he stayed in the area on Bureau of Land Management property outside of city limits.
Laudando returned to Mesquite on May 15, police said, and was contacted by MPD and animal control officers. He was cited again for violations related to animal welfare and city code compliance.
Officers with MPD and animal control located and recovered 77 dogs from his RV, with many of them requiring "extensive medical attention" due to the conditions they were found in, police said. Since being rescued, one dog has given birth to four puppies.
On Tuesday, police said that Laudando and Michelle Santos were both arrested and booked into jail on eight felony counts of animal cruelty and more than 100 counts of animal neglect, a misdemeanor.
MPD said during the arrest, another 33 dogs were located and taken into protective custody. Police said the total number of animals recovered throughout the investigation is 114.
"The Mesquite Animal Shelter is actively working to provide medical treatment, nutrition, and safe housing for all recovered animals. Due to the high number of animals and the level of care required, the shelter is experiencing a significant strain on its physical and financial resources," police said in a press release.
To learn how you can help the animal shelter, click HERE.
-
COURT HEARING: Suspect in fatal Smith's shooting enters not guilty plea, held without bail
In court Monday morning, Judge Amy Wilson said that Estrada created extreme danger not only to the victims but to the public with his actions.
Suspect in fatal Smith's shooting enters not guilty plea, held without bail
Alejandro Estrada is facing multiple charges, including open murder with a deadly weapon, eight counts of discharging a gun within a structure and aggravated stalking.
Suspect identified in shooting that led to school lockdowns in North Las Vegas
Jallel Jenkins-Harris will face charges including two counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon, robbery with a deadly weapon, and assault on a protected person with a deadly weapon
More than 900 items valued at $418K seized by Las Vegas police retail crime team
Police say the investigation ultimately led to the arrest of 49-year-old Roberto Fuentes, who investigators claim would purchase stolen goods and then resell them through different online platforms.