LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — There are new details emerging in the on-going criminal investigation of the deadliest residential fire within the City of Las Vegas ever, including a court battle over search warrants and a cell phone belonging to a key person connected to the situation.
In court Tuesday, Dominic Gentile told Judge Rob Bare that his client, Aldolfo Orozco-Garcia, surrendered his cell phone on Feb. 5 to authorities for examination.
13 Investigates has obtained a search warrant from Las Vegas police which shows investigators want to see if the device, an iPhone 11, has any evidence connected to the deadly fire that claimed six lives, injured 13, and left dozens without a place to live on Dec. 21 last year.
"This has never been about the phone, the phone is an iPhone 11, how long could've had the phone, this is about the contents of the phone," said Gentile.
The hearing Tuesday was to determine whether Clark County District Court has jurisdiction regarding the return of property, i.e., the cell phone belonging to Orozco-Garcia.
The attorney representing Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department revealed investigators need more time with the cell phone because they are having trouble accessing the information without a passcode.
Gentile says he was in contact with police investigators in late January. offering assistance but his offer was not acknowledged.
"Guess what, if they would've taken us up on the offer on Jan. 17, you would've had the information," said Gentile.
"But no, they had to get a search warrant! Well, if they are going to go get a search warrant, they want to play hardball, they picked on the right guy," added Gentile.
So far, no criminal charges have been brought forward.
Judge Bare determined his court does have jurisdiction regarding the return of the cell phone, but left it up to both sides to figure out the next steps before returning to the courtroom on March 10.