New Mayweather video teases UFC training, McGregor fans respond

UPDATE JAN. 30: Floyd Mayweather continues to troll the sports world with his social media posts, probably due to boredom now that he's "officially retired."

His latest Instagram and Twitter video shows him stepping into an Octagon barefooted and getting a feel for the cage.

It's an obvious tease to a previous report that Dana White and Floyd Mayweather were discussing a UFC fight deal.

The added poking and prodding of UFC champion Conor McGregor is just an added bonus for "Money" Mayweather. Expectedly, McGregor fans took the bait.

The thought of Floyd Mayweather fighting in a UFC Octagon is laughable but so was the idea of Conor McGregor challenging the best fighter of this generation to a boxing match – we all know how that turned out.

It'll be interesting to see what all of this posturing leads to but for now, let's all have fun watching Mayweather play UFC fighter.

ORIGINAL STORY: Just in case you thought 2017 couldn't get any more bizarre – Floyd Mayweather is reportedly in talks with UFC President Dana White on a multi-fight deal.

Floyd Mayweather first broached the subject earlier this month during a social media live stream.

"They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back," said Mayweather on Fight Hype's stream. "I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I'm Floyd 'Money' Mayweather."

Many people glanced over his statement and figured it was just Mayweather's latest attempt to grab headlines, but today Dana White added fuel to the fire.

"We're talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal," White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. "It's real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren't real? He usually tips his hand when he's in the media and then that s--- ends up happening."

Floyd Mayweather fighting in a UFC Octagon is as ridiculous as Conor McGregor putting his career on hold for over a year to take a non-title boxing match...

Wait, that actually happened.

The UFC isn't known for dishing out large fight purses but then again they've never had a star the caliber of Floyd Mayweather. A card featuring both McGregor and Mayweather, whether they fight each other or different opponents, would surely shatter every record in the company's history.

It's not farfetched to think that McGregor could defend his lightweight title against interim champion Tony Ferguson while Floyd is given a featherweight striker to test his skills against.

It'd be a circus show, but a lucrative one. People would complain about the premise but still shell out the $100 pay-per-view cost. After all, this is a promotion who fed boxer James Toney to an all-time great fighter in Randy Couture.

Throw in WME-IMG's brief history of booking fights for entertainment above ranking and you have the makings of a wild 2018 in the UFC.

Print this article Back to Top