Local News

Actions

Passerbys rescue woman from burning Las Vegas home

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 11:11 PM, Aug 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-28 07:26:28-04

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — A woman is recovering from serious injuries after some good Samaritans helped rescue her from a burning home in Las Vegas, according to authorities.

Las Vegas firefighters responded to the 1100 block of Doolittle Avenue, near Martin Luther King and Lake Mead boulevards, around 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday after receiving reports that a house was on fire.

RELATED: Henderson man identified after deadly house fire caused by torching bugs

When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was showing from the one story wood frame/stucco house. There was a woman sitting on the curb, she appeared to be injured.

Firefighters entered the home and found the fire in the kitchen. Crews had the fire out in a few minutes.

The woman was transported to the UMC Trauma in serious condition for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say the fire appears to be the result of unattended cooking.

RELATED: WATCH: Fire destroys North Las Vegas home

The fire activated the smoke alarms in the house which woke the woman who was sleeping in a bedroom. She could not escape through the front of the house, passerbys stopped and pulled a set of burglar bars off the front of the house which was blocking her escape.

The woman suffered a number of lacerations from broken glass of the window.

The fire caused an estimated $25,000 damage.

North Las Vegas fire department also assisted at the fire.

RELATED: Vehicles and trash cans randomly set on fire in Las Vegas neighborhood

There were no reported injuries to first responders.