Local News

Actions

Henderson man identified after deadly house fire caused by torching bugs

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:07 AM, May 21, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-21 19:24:19-04

HENDERSON (KTNV) — A 63-year-old Henderson man is dead after a fire that authorities say was caused accidentally by the homeowner using a propane torch to exterminate bugs in a crawl space underneath the house.

Firefighters responded to a fire at a home on the 1600 block of Palomino Drive, near Equestrian Drive and Appaloosa Road, around 6:10 p.m. on May 20.

While fighting the fire, crews found the man, later identified as Jeff Long, in a crawl space in the basement.

He was transported to Henderson Hospital where he died from his injuries.

One woman and a dog were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by family members.

The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.