NEVADA (KTNV) — Wednesday, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak instructed the Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation, Employment Security Division, to waive the work search requirement and the 7-day wait period for approved unemployment insurance benefits.
The governor announced on Facebook this evening.
Specifically, Gov. Sisolak waived the following:
-Unemployment Insurance Work Search Requirement: Given the unprecedented public health crisis and the temporary shutdown of non-essential businesses across our state, Gov. Sisolak instructed the Administrator of DETR’s Employment Security Division, that suitable work is not currently available for unemployment insurance claimants, thereby suspending the work search requirement.
-Unemployment Insurance 7-Day Wait Period: Effective immediately, Gov. Sisolak has instructed DETR to waive the 7-day wait period between applying for and receiving unemployment insurance benefits. This important step ensures that thousands of Nevadans will receive their benefits as quickly as possible.
“Both of these instructions are practical, common-sense measures to help Nevadans obtain unemployment insurance benefits while helping mitigate the spread of COVID-19,” said Gov. Sisolak. “My administration will continue to work with our federal delegation to identify additional steps that can be taken to ease the economic pain of families across our State.”
RELATED: Assistance for those impacted by coronavirus
“We are thankful to have Governor’s Sisolak support and appreciate his commitment to finding pragmatic solutions to the challenges we face with unemployment claims processing,” said Dr. Tiffany Tyler-Garner, Director at DETR. “His action today will provide greater flexibility in the processing of claims and facilitate a timelier and more streamlined process. DETR is committed to providing ongoing services to our constituency, and today’s order empowers us to respond expeditiously to the needs of Nevadans.”
RELATED: CORONAVIRUS: How to file for unemployment benefits in Nevada
“After reviewing guidance from the Department of Labor, I have recommended to the Director and Governor Sisolak that these actions should result in unemployment filers not having to risk their health during this State of Emergency,” said Kimberly Gaa, Administrator for the Employment Security Division. “Moving forward, filers will receive any approved benefits a week earlier then they previously would have.”
Both instructions are effective immediately and will remain in effect until further notice, according to the governor.
Nevadans seeking Unemployment Insurance Benefits are encouraged to file online.