LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — It was a close call for firefighters in Las Vegas on Monday evening when a roof collapsed as crews were battling a fire at an apartment complex in the Chinatown area.
Amazingly, nobody was hurt.
Clark County Fire Department says around 30 people were displaced due to the 2-alarm fire at Gloria Park Villas on Decatur Boulevard near Spring Mountain Road.
The American Red Cross is assisting those impacted.
#MORE: It was a close call tonight when the roof collapsed on crews responding to an apartment fire in Las Vegas, according to authorities. Amazingly, nobody was injured. @RedCrossUtahNV is assisting approx. 30 people displaced. https://t.co/5rmc3ZPcTx— KTNV Action News (@KTNV) December 31, 2019
Video: @ClarkCountyFD pic.twitter.com/rW4jrieDka
Authorities began battling the blaze on the second floor -- where they thought the fire was -- but it was later discovered that the fire was started by a fireplace on the first floor.
Firefighters say the floor could have given way and collapsed while crews were on the second level working.
Monday's fire comes just over one week after Las Vegas Fire and Rescue responded to the deadliest residential fire in the agency's 20-year history. Six people died on dec. 21 in the Alpine fire in downtown Las Vegas.
In another recent fire, 70 people and eight pets were displaced on Dec. 26 after a fire at Rancho Verde Apartments near downtown. There were no reported injuries in that fire.
Read more Las Vegas breaking news for Dec. 30, 2019
Watch the first update from authorities:
Watch second update from authorities:
Area near the fire: