LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The biggest names in hockey have descended upon Las Vegas as the NHL puts a bow on the 2018-19 season with their annual awards show.
Among the candidates for the season-long awards is Golden Knights F Mark Stone, who is in contention for the Selke Trophy which recognizes the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game. Other finalists for the award include Boston Bruins C Patrice Bergeron, who is a finalist for a record eighth consecutive year and has won the award four times, and St. Louis Blues C Ryan O'Reilly.
13 Action News was live at The NHL Awards. Here's a recap of the bnig event!
AND THE WINNER IS...
Here is a list of winners from the 2019 NHL Awards.
- Nikita Kucherov (Tampa Bay Lightning): Hart Memorial Trophy, awarded “to the player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team,” as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
- Rico Phillips (Flint Inner-City Youth Hockey Program): Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award, given “to an individual who – through the game of hockey – has positively impacted his or her community, culture or society.”
- Wayne Simmonds (Nashville Predators): Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, which is presented “to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season and who plays a leading role in his community growing the game of hockey.”
- Robin Lehner and Thomas Greiss (New York Islanders): William M. Jennings Trophy, presented “to the goalkeeper(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it.”
- Andrei Vasilevskiy (Tampa Bay Lightning): Vezina Trophy, awarded to the “goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at his position,” as selected by NHL General Managers.
- Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames): James Norris Memorial Trophy, awarded to the defenseman demonstrating “the greatest all-around ability in the position,” as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
- Nikita Kucherov (Tampa Bay Lightning): The Ted Lindsay Award (TLA) is the only award voted on by the players themselves, carrying on the tradition established with the Lester B. Pearson Award in 1970-71. NHLPA members annually vote on the player they deem to be the most outstanding in the NHL regular season.
- Jason Zucker (Minnesota Wild): King Clancy Memorial Trophy, awarded for “leadership on and off the ice and who has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution to his community.”
- Dan Sweeny (Boston Bruins): NHL General Manager of the Year Award. Voting for this award was conducted among NHL Club General Managers and a panel of NHL executives, print and broadcast media at the conclusion of the Second Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Aleksander Barkov (Florida Panthers): Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, awarded “to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability,” as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
- Nikita Kucherov (Tampa Bay Lightning): Art Ross Trophy, presented “to the player who leads the League in scoring points at the end of the regular season.”
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE NHL AWARDS SHOW
RED CARPET AT AWARDS SHOW
Yeah, you could say Mark Stone is reppin’ the home team in style at the #NHLAwards tonight - he’s the only Golden Knight nominated and is hoping to continue the VGK awards sweep (all four Knights nominated last year won) pic.twitter.com/C16rdgLNBO— Jackie Kostek (@JackieKostek) June 19, 2019
Kel Mitchell says there are some surprises in store for tonight, possssssibly including him on stage with his pal host Kenan Thompson - Good Burger, All That, eek! #NHLAwards pic.twitter.com/eSyaNQzvmZ— Jackie Kostek (@JackieKostek) June 19, 2019
SLS OWNER BUYS ARIZONA COYOTES (3 P.M. PT)
Guess that not everybody in Las Vegas is a Golden Knights fan.
Alex Meruelo, owner of SLS Las Vegas, was approved as new majority owner of the Arizona Coyotes during the NHL’s Board of Governors meeting.
Like the Golden Knights, the Coyotes compete in the NHL’s Pacific Division.
READ THE FULL STORY
NHL REVEALS ORDER OF AWARDS PRESENTATION (11:30 A.M. PT)
Golden Knights fans won't have to wait too long to find out if Mark Stone will get the Selke Trophy.
The NHL released the order of presentation for tonight's awards ceremony, and the Selke is ninth of 16 awards tonight, coming right after the Bill Masterton Trophy which honors perseverance and dedication to hockey.
The evening will begin with top rookie honors (Calder Trophy) and end with season MVP (Hart Trophy).
GOLDEN KNIGHTS ARE ON THE BOARD (9:30 A.M. PT)
The red carpet hasn't even been rolled out yet at the Mandalay Bay Events Center, but the hometown Golden Knights have already claimed two prizes.