LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The fourth tallest crane in the world is in Las Vegas to work on the MSG Sphere at The Venetian.
Once complete, the MSG Sphere will be the largest spherical structure in the world.
To meet the unique needs of building the massive structure, the DEMAG CC-8800 crane was brought in from Belgium to assist with construction.
It took two and a half weeks to assemble once it crossed the Atlantic Ocean.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- The CC-8800 has a total height of 580-feet – towering 30-feet higher than the High Roller’s 550-feet.
- The fully assembled crane, including the body, boom, and cables, weighs a whopping 869 tons.
- 850 tons (1.7 million pounds) of counterweight have been added for stability.
- The CC-8800 has a maximum pick capacity of up to 1,760 tons.
- For MSG Sphere, the heaviest lift – at 182 tons – will be the center compression ring for the dome roof.