Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman and the City of Las Vegas have proclaimed the month of June to be Mermaids, Glitter Gulch and La Bayou Casinos Month.
Although the purchase of La Bayou, Mermaids and Glitter Gulch is an exciting time for the ongoing evolution of Fremont Street, the proclamation marks the end of an era as these family-run mainstays come to close on Monday, June 27.
June is the final month for visitors to check out the unique vintage Las Vegas offerings these properties provide. Must-do activities include:
· Visiting the plaque at La Bayou dedicated to the first gaming license in the state of Nevada on March 20, 1931
· Trying your luck with one of the last vintage-Vegas coin slot machines inside La Bayou
· Tasting one of Mermaid’s Casino’s renowned deep-fried Oreos or Twinkies while sipping on a variety of homemade daiquiris
· Swinging by the last gentleman’s club located on Fremont Street, Glitter Gulch
· Seeing Vegas Vickie, the famous neon cowgirl sign above Glitter Gulch and across the street from her equally iconic husband, Vegas Vic, whome were “married” in 1994