LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Las Vegas Metropolitan Police have issued safety tips for those looking to buy or sell items online.
The suggestions come 4 days after a shooting on Shady Shores Circle, near Rampart and Lake Mead boulevards in Summerlin. Police say one person was shot and killed after an argument took place following a transaction on the app OfferUp.
FROM THE ARCHIVES: Before you meet someone to buy or sell items, read this
Below is the full guidance as provided by Las Vegas Police:
The Covid-19 pandemic is affecting everyone around the world. This has put many people out of work who are looking for extra income to provide for themselves and their families. With stores being closed, people are looking to the internet and social media marketplaces to buy and sell items.
The LVMPD would like to provide safety tips to people who are conducting private sales online and meeting up in person.
- Do your research.
- Do not give out personal information.
- Utilize reputable selling websites.
- Always meetup in a public place.
- Do the transaction in daylight hours.
- Bring only the agreed-upon cash.
- High value transactions should be handled at a bank.
- Always have a phone and give friends or family permission to track your location.
- Take a friend or advise someone of your plans.
- Be cautious of deals too good to be true.
- Trust to your instincts.