LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Gov. Steve Sisolak has announced that former MGM Resorts CEO Jim Murren will lead Nevada's coronavirus relief and task force.
The name of the public-private partnership will be the COVID-19 Response Relief and Recovery task force.
The task force will focus on multiple issues, including shortage of medical supplies and layoffs.
WATCH THE ANNOUNCEMENT BELOW
Murren joined the MGM as CFO and a member of its board of directors in 1998. He became president and CEO in 2007. He stepped down from MGM on Feb. 12. Murren is also a member of the National Infrastructure Advisory Council.
Murren is putting together a leadership team, assessing what is needed and how it will be distributed state wide. Sisolak says this task force will expand the capacity of the state’s healthcare system, and will mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
“With the rapidly moving situation we’re facing I didn't want to wait another minute to let Nevadans know about this great development in our overall efforts," says Sisolak.
Sisolak also addressed the need for more coronavirus test kits and medical supplies in the state.
He says his office has had daily discussions with the White House and FEMA for more tests kits and medical supplies. He believes this task force will help to get all the necessary supplies Nevada needs.
On March 20, the governor signed an emergency directive, sharpening his tone and ordering all nonessential businesses to close until April 16.
Gov. Sisolak had previously requested nonessential businesses close temporarily, but his directive on Friday added an element of enforcement. Businesses that do not shut down can be penalized and fined, and even risk losing their license.
If a business owner believes they are essential, they can appeal to the city or county business license.
STAY UP TO DATE: Continuing coverage of the coronavirus pandemic