LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — A homeless man died after a confrontation on Feb. 14, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
The victim has been identified as Daniel Ohayon.
It happened around 5:45 p.m. in the 2000 block of North Buffalo Drive, near Lake Mead Boulevard, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
WATCH the full briefing here:
Lt. Robert Price said around that time, several 911 calls came in reporting an unconscious man bleeding in the parking lot.
When police arrived, they found a man bleeding and suffering from an apparent stab wound. Medical personnel rendered aid, but he was ultimately pronounced dead at the scene.
Police believe the victim was with two or three other people when an argument broke out, and the victim was stabbed before the suspect fled the area.
According to an arrest report that Channel 13 obtained, there were two men and a woman present before a confrontation broke out.
According to witness testimony by the alleged girlfriend of one of the men, both she and her boyfriend were walking to Panda Express when they came across a homeless man in a sleeping bag.
The woman states that both she and her boyfriend tried to wake up the homeless man, threw pebbles at the man and walked away. According to the woman, the homeless man followed them. At this point, the man called the suspect, 22-year-old Justin Ringer, claiming that the homeless man was following them.
Ringer arrived with a baseball bat and a scooter and started to confront the homeless man, according to the arrest report.
That's when Ringer allegedly slapped the homeless man, the homeless man then threw a rock at Ringer and the other man. After that, the witness alleges that she saw Ringer making stabbing movements towards the homeless man and saw blood.
According to the arrest report, authorities spoke with Ringer, who changed his story several times. At one point, Ringer was claiming that it was done in self-defense. According to Ringer, he thought he "just cut him and that was it."
On Feb. 18, Ringer was taken into custody and booked in the Clark County Detention Center for open murder with a deadly weapon.
Price said they believe this to be an isolated incident, but ask that anyone with details reach out to LVMPD.
-
Man shot at east Las Vegas Walmart was subject of domestic violence complaint
The man who was shot inside an east Las Vegas Walmart store last week faces domestic violence-related charges, Channel 13 has learned.
Gang rivalry led to Hollywood Regional Park shooting, arrest report says
Over the past week, 19-year-old Jayden Torres and 16-year-old Kassandra Orozco were arrested on charges of open murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder in connection with this case.
Las Vegas police share video of officer's fatal encounter with armed man outside Walmart store
Video shared by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department on Friday offers new insight into the circumstances that led an officer to fatally shoot a man outside a local Walmart store.
Las Vegas teen arrested in connection to Santa Monica fatal shooting
On Monday, around 12:32 a.m., officers responded to a report of a possible shooting near the Santa Monica Pier, according to a release from the Santa Monica Police Department.