NEVADA (KTNV) — The Nevada governor's office reports the White House has denied the state’s request to have the federal government fully fund the Nevada National Guard's COVID-19 response efforts through the end of the year.
Since the National Guard’s activation in early April, federal Title 32 funding covered 100 percent of the related cost, according to the governor's office.
In early August, the White House announced the federal government would fund 75 percent of the Nevada National Guard through Dec. 31.
Since then, President Donald Trump has approved full funding of National Guard duties in five states to help slow the spread of COVID-19. However, currently not Nevada's.
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak responded Thursday evening and released the following statement:
“There is no rational justification for providing some states full federal funding for the Guard and denying a state like Nevada, which is still facing an increased transmission risk in our largest counties and devastating economic impacts as a result of this pandemic,” said Gov. Sisolak. “The Nevada National Guard has led our State in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and will be critical to the success of our recovery efforts going forward. I am disappointed in the President’s decision and urge him to reconsider based on Nevada’s current situation. As Governor, I will continue to advocate to bring in more federal funds to help Nevada’s ongoing response efforts.”
As a result, Nevada will use Coronavirus Relief Funds to cover the state’s share of the cost to keep the Nevada National Guard activated through the end of December.
The governor’s office says it has made multiple requests to the White House requesting full federal funding as the Nevada National Guard has been a critical resource for the state during the pandemic.
The Nevada National Guard’s coronavirus response has been the largest activation in the state's history, according to the governor's office.