LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Travelers are still making Las Vegas their destination for the Fourth of July weekend - despite COVID-19 cases rising in Nevada and surrounding states.
Thursday, traffic was flowing from California to Nevada with drivers making their way to Las Vegas. With some visitors wanting to unwind for the holiday weekend.
“Since we had been closed for so long, we were looking for something that we can do. To get away,” said Leslie Villalobos, who’s traveling from San Diego.
Travelers said they were taking precautions while making the trip.
“We have our masks. We have our sanitizer. I guess we have pretty much the essentials we need to keep safe,” Villalobos said.
AAA of Southern Nevada says nationwide, overall summer travel has slowed by about 15% due to the pandemic. For those still wanting to hit the road, Las Vegas remains the place to go.
“We can tell by looking at AAA's website that hotel booking data in the summer months - between July 1 and Sept. 30 - that Las Vegas is going to remain the top destination for travelers,” said Sergio Avila, spokesperson for AAA.
With out-of-state travelers expected, Gov. Steve Sisolak stressed that everyone follows health guidelines like social distancing and wearing masks.
“Wearing a mask works. This is not partisan. It’s not political. It’s the right thing to do and it saves lives,” he said.
And that’s something visitors from Southern California say they are taking seriously.
“It’s hard to get used to but we have to do it. You do what you got to do,” said Mike Flota, who’s traveling from West Covina, Calif.
“We’re willing to comply with the regulations, but we still want to have fun,” Villalobos said.
AAA says road trips are still the most popular way to travel for the holidays, but that is also down 3 percent this summer due to the pandemic.