LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Some parents are crying foul over recent news that large-scale events with thousands of attendees have been given the green light to resume but select youth sports, particularly in Clark County, remain off-limits.
Parent Kimberley Brock has been an outspoken critic of restrictions that prohibited youth sports and competitions.
"It's really frustrating when we're told, 'no you can't," said Brock.
Brock believes recent changes in which large events such as NASCAR at Las Vegas Motor Speedway will welcome 12,500 attendees to races starting March 5 and a recent recommendation by the Southern Nevada Health District to allow as many as 2,600 fans for Golden Knights Hockey inside T-Mobile Arena while a prohibition on some youth sports is hypocritical.
"It's a double standard," said Brock.
"As sports parents, we're following all the safety protocols that we've been given. As players, they follow the rules, they stay safe, they're responsible kids," added Brock.
Brocks wants her sophomore daughter to play high school-level soccer.
"It's really upsetting especially because a lot of states around us can play and ever since August they've been telling us we can start in February and they just kept going in about two weeks ago they said we can't play," said Senior Elijah Rhodes who wants to play football.
Clark County Superintendent Dr. Jesus Jara has previously said kids in classrooms is the priority before resuming sports.
In January, he said resuming sports before in-person instruction would send the wrong message about priorities.
On Feb. 18, the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association cleared contact sports to resume, however, the Clark County School District has not signaled whether a decision to resume such sports would happen.
Clark County School District Dr. Jesus Jara released a statement regarding the situation last week after Gov. Steve Sisolak eased a number of restrictions related to COVID-19, including recreational sports.
I applaud Governor Sisolak for his direction and leadership. I look forward to working with State Superintendent Ebert, the Board of School Trustees and our employee bargaining units to transition safely to face-to-face instruction for our children with our hard-working employees. At this time, we continue the important work to safely open our schools for Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 3 students who have chosen to return on March 1. We are currently reviewing the Governor’s directives and will provide more details regarding additional grade levels and extra-curricular activities in the near future.
"16 out of 17 districts in the state of Nevada will be playing high school football, they will be playing high school soccer," said Sierra Vista High School head football Coach Roy Goodell.
"Great for them, that doesn't do anything for CCSD," he added.
Goddell wishes he could get his students, especially his seniors, playing again.
He's working with other coaches to form a makeshift club league to allow for at least some competition in order to help students get scholarships and signed for college play.
Goodell says there are several obstacles standing in the way including, equipment, travel, insurance, facilities, and opponents to play.
Brock says it is essential for student-athletes to get back to playing sports for their physical and mental health.
The Facebook group 'Let Them Play NV' is planning to hold another protest on Thursday before the Clark County School Board.