The city of Las Vegas is expanding the number of skills for Amazon’s voice-controlled digital assistant, Alexa.
The city has developed a suite of skills, which is available through the Alexa application, which can be found on a growing number of devices including Echo, the Dot and Show.
The skills include:
- City of Las Vegas Information - provides details about upcoming meetings of the City Council, as well as details about elected officials, city facilities, reporting issues and more
- Election Information - provides municipal election dates and candidate details
- Go Vegas Innovation District Flash Briefing - a summary of key news and activities taking place in the Innovation District located downtown
- Las Vegas Parks and Community Centers - provides information about the locations of city parks and centers, hours of operation and amenities
- Las Vegas Transit Lookup - provides information in real-time about public buses operating in the valley including expected arrival times at bus stops
- Las Vegas Cultural Events - provides dates, locations and other details about upcoming events based on interest
All of the skills use the phrase “Go Vegas” and are part of an effort to enable individuals to interact with the city anytime, while using technology they are already familiar with.
Several additional skills are in development and will be released over the next several months. Additional skills under development will enable city staff to use Alexa in their jobs to query systems for information that currently require them to use a computer to access.
To obtain the city’s skills for your device, launch the Alexa app and select “SKILLS” from the menu. In the search bar, enter city of Las Vegas. Select any of the six skills listed for the city, install and enable them.