To celebrate the life of a special pet lover, Nathan Adelson Hospice is proud to announce the formation of Paws For Paul – The Paul Ames Pet Therapy Program.
Paul Ames, brother of actor and comedian Brad Garrett, was a passionate advocate for animals, especially the dogs he cared for during his life. To honor his memory, Garrett and Nathan Adelson Hospice are creating a program that enhances the services the hospice provides to those in its care and their furry friends.
Nathan Adelson Hospice has always recognized the soothing power pets provide to those in the final stages of their journey of life. Our pet therapy program offers comfort to patients through:
- Bedside pet therapy visits in both inpatient units as well as nursing homes
- Dog walking for in-home patients
- Cat litter box changes for a healthy environment for in-home patients
- Pet waste cleanup in patients’ homes and yards
- Bathing and grooming in the home
- Annual pet supply drive for shelters, where many of our pet therapy dogs come from
- Hosting monthly Rainbow Bridge pet loss support group
- Assisting (when possible) in fostering or finding forever homes for pets when a patient has no other arrangements for the pet after their passing.
Funds generated from the Paws For Paul program will allow Nathan Adelson Hospice to increase the depth of those services currently provided, as well as being able to purchase items and services for patients such as:
- Food for in-home patients’ cats or dogs as needed
- Cat litter, litter supplies for in-home patients’ cats as needed
- Vet care for small needs (nail trims, medications, vaccinations, etc.)
- Spaying and neutering if needed (state law requires it)
- ID tags and micro-chipping patients’ pets as needed
- Humane euthanasia (in emergencies only)
As the program grows, Nathan Adelson Hospice will look to increase the services, and may one day be able to fulfill an often-discussed goal of providing hospice care for pets.