The following is a roundup of the latest restaurant news from around the Las Vegas valley:
1. Los Angeles culinary Roy Choi revealed the first dishes that will be served at Best Friend inside Park MGM during a recent Facebook Live. The dishes included tamarind cod hot pot, BBQ spicy pork, Slippery Shrimp, Soon DuBu Hot Pot, Fritto Misto Rogers and fried bologna sandwich. The restaurant will open Dec. 19.
2. Head to Bazaar Meat by Jose Andres at SLS Las Vegas on Dec. 10 for an an interactive tasting event celebrating Spain’s renowned Jamón Ibérico with premier Spanish purveyors Cinco Jotas and Fermín. Guests will come to understand and taste the difference between different types of Spanish cured meats, (Jamón Ibérico de Bellota, salchichon and lomo), learn how to clean and carve a leg of jamón from a master cortador, and sample fresh cuts of Ibérico pig straight from Bazaar Meat’s wood-burning grills and ovens. Cost is $95 plus per person.
3. MB Steak at the Hard Rock is offering the Cowboy Cut, a juicy 24-ounce USDA Prime Certified Black Angus bone-in ribeye, through Dec. 15 for $89. NFR fans may pair the steak dish with a bourbon flight, featuring 1-ounce pours of four ultra-premium bourbons: Woodford Reserve, Angel’s Envy, Four Roses Single Barrel and Old Forester, priced at $29; or the Smoke and Mirrors, made with a barrel-aged mix of Templeton rye whiskey, St. George Bruto Americano and Punt e Mes, garnished with orange peel and a cherry, priced at $18. The cocktail is placed into a smoke box and smoked for approximately 15 seconds with hickory chips for a bold, smoky flavor.
4. Habit Burger Grill is opening its 7th Las Vegas location on Dec. 19 in the Nellis Crossing community. On Dec. 16, anyone stationed at Nellis Air Force Base with ID can receive a free Charburger, fries and drink between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. On Dec. 17, Habit Burger will team up with Spread the Word Nevada and Tyler Robinson Foundation for a Charity Day. 100 percent of proceeds will be donated the local nonprofits. Another free Habit Day will happen for military base personnel fro 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Dec. 17 and the restaurant will open to general public Dec. 19.
5. Every Sunday in December, guests can savor the flavors of an ever-changing, communal menu of custom creations by Executive Chef Matthew Chacho at Tom Colicchio’s Heritage Steak . The Heritage Sunday Roast is served5 to 10 p.m. Cost is $75 per person, $35 optional wine pairing. The view the current menu, visit the website.
6. A very special Farm to Table dinner is happening Dec. 14 and 15 at Rooster Boy Cafe inside the Lakeside Event Center. Proceeds will benefit Kerry Clasby, who lost her farm in California fires. Chefs/restaurants participating include: Rooster Boy, Wolfgang Puck's Spago, Other Mama LV Esther's KitchenSparrow + Wolf Urban Seed Inc. Flock & Fowl Downtown Hudson Valley Foie Gras MGP Food Stratosphere Las Vegas Metro Pizza and more to be announced! Tickets are $75 plus.
7. Greek Sneek at MGM Grand is now offering Happy Hour from 5 to 7 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Enjoy $6 wine, sangria and beer plus $11 Mediterranean flatbreads, topped with shaved chicken, red onions, tomatoes and feta cheese; meatball with tomatoes and tzatziki; and vegetable with grilled zucchini, eggplant, pesto and olives.
8. 108 Eats by James Trees is opening Dec. 27 at Stratosphere hotel-casino. The eatery offering fresh panini, inventive ice creams and house made treats will be located on the 108th level of the tower. Various treats start at $3 and include a pretzel and butterscotch cookie, a peanut butter jam cookie, Calabrian spiked chips, root chips and chili cheddar popcorn. Panini sandwiches are prepared on fresh sourdough bread and include the mushroom and truffle, prepared with fontina and boschetto tartufo; the roasted Porchetta, prepared with rapini, chilis and provolone cheese; and the sliced meatball, prepared with basil ricotta and bianco pomodoro. Paninis are priced starting at $10. Trees, who began his career at The Mirage, has become a well-known name on the food scene.
9. La Comida in downtown Las Vegas has added a dash of spice to afternoons with a variety of Happy Hour offerings from 3 to 5 p.m. daily. Enjoy signature margaritas and select shots for $5 and appetizers such as nachos with guacamole, Oaxaca cheese, jalapenos, pico de gallo and beans and chicken flautas with queso fresco, sour cream, tomato, cilantro and guacatillo salsa for $5 each.
10. Yard House at The LINQ is offering a new brunch. The menu features both classic brunch options with modern twists and unique new dishes along with a bottomless Bloody Mary, mimosas and beers. Dishes include avocado toast, bread pudding French toast, quinoa power bowl, breakfast burger, corned beef and hash, loco mono, skirt steak and eggs and Nashville hot chicken. Hand-crafted brunch cocktails include Sunkissed Sangria, Angry Grapefruit Rose, Hawaiian Mule and Paradise Found. Brunch hours at 8 to 11 a.m. Saturdays and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays.
11. PKWY Tavern recently introduced an updated menu featuring a variety of all-American comfort food classics alongside fresh and original items created by Chef Cesar Herrera. Items include fried calamari, steak salad, 50/50 burger, portabella burger, taco pizza, pot roast, and steak frites. Prices range from $11.95 to $22.95. In addition to the all-new menu items, guests can still enjoy an assortment of PKWY Tavern classics such as the fried pickles, beer poached wings and buffalo chicken sliders, as well as a full menu of signature cocktails and more than 250 beers.
12. Vetri Cucina is open on the 56th floor of Palms hotel-casino. Chef Marc Vetri says Vetri Cucina is the culmination of 20 years of his own self-discovery as a chef and educator. Executive Chef Josh Bianchi and his culinary team will offer dishes such as sweet onion crepes with white truffle fondue, foie gras pastrami, Swiss chard gnocchi, pistachio flan and more. In addition to the fantastic views and food, the restaurant features a mural by DabsMyla, the Australian husband and Wie artist debut in an unexpected place just outside the restaurant.
13. Public School 702 has added some new items to its Happy Hour roster, which is cleverly titled Recess. They are now offering Queso Fundido, Popcorn Shrimp, Reuben Sandwich and Beech Mushroom Flatbread. Recess items are available from 3 to 7 p.m. during the week. All items are $5 during Recess. Well drinks also available for $5.
If you would like to submit an item for 13 Things, send a press release to email@example.com.