Local NewsWatercooler


Family sues Amazon after hoverboard fire destroys home

Posted at 9:56 PM, Oct 27, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-28 00:56:39-04

A Tennessee family is suing Amazon for $30 million for negligence after a hoverboard caused a fire that destroyed their home earlier this year.

According to the lawsuit filed Wednesday, Brian Fox says his two children were trapped upstairs when the fire broke out Jan. 9 and had to jump into his arms to safety.

He says Amazon didn't warn customers about 9 fires started by the hoverboard. Amazon later banned the sale of some hoverboards.

The lawsuit says the seller of the hoverboard is a sham organization and the family received a counterfreit product from China, The Tennessean reported.

While the family's Nashville home was worth around $1 million, the Tennessean reports the lawsuit also includes the loss of possessions, physical injuries and emotional distress.