Monsoons can bring strong thunderstorms and flooding to the Las Vegas valley in the summer. How can you protect yourself?
If you are in a vehicle:
- Don't drive through flooded road or around barricades
- As little as six inches of fast moving water can sweep a vehicle off the roadway
- If you get stuck in a car, it may be safer to stay in the vehicle
- Be cautious at night as flooding can be hard to spot
For your home:
- Have an emergency kit ready in case power goes out, including water, food, first aid kit and battery-operated radio
- Get sandbags if you live in a flood-prone area
- Put items above flood line in home
- Most homeowner's insurance policies do not cover flood damage
- Flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect after you buy it
MonsoonSafety.org gives more details on how to be safe in a monsoon.