Local News


UPDATE: Brother remembers veteran killed in accidental house fire

Posted at 10:46 AM, Dec 16, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-17 14:18:25-05

UPDATE:  Family members identify the man killed in the fire as Richard Allan Adams. The 64-year-old was a veteran.

"We talked last night at about 9 or 10 o'clock," said brother Jerome Adams.

The next day, Adams said he couldn't get in touch with Richard. He called his brother dozens of times before getting the awful news.

"We weren't an affectionate group, my brother and I," he said, "but I wish I could tell him I love him."

Just weeks before his death, Adams had survived a very complicated surgery.

"It was a 90 percent failure rate," said Adams, "..they didn't want to do the surgery because they said he wasn't going to survive and I said he's a little tougher thank you think he is."

Adams said Richard was always strong. He had health issues as a young child.

"He spent the first three years of his life in a hospital," he said.


LAS VEGAS (KTNV) -- A man is dead after a fire on Thursday night on Blackstone Street near Desert Inn and Pecos roads.

Clark County Fire Department reports that it responded to the fire at 10:55 p.m.

Upon arrival, they discovered a condominium on fire. The victim was located inside of the condo and was immediately transported to Sunrise Hospital in critical condition. The fire department was later notified that the man had died.

Clark County Animal Control was also called in to secure large dogs so that nearby condos could be search for possible victims or more fire.

Ultimately, it was determined the fire was contained to one unit. Fire investigators believe that the fire was a result of an electrical problem in a bathroom fan. It was ruled as accidental.

Damage has been estimated at $300,000.

The Clark County coroner will release the name of the deceased after relatives have been notified.