Local News


Storage unit catches fire near Sahara, Lamb

Posted at 5:39 AM, Jan 06, 2016

A storage unit caught fire early Wednesday morning near Sahara Avenue and Lamb Boulevard.

Firefighters responded to Maycliff Mini Storage, in the 4000 block of East Sahara Avenue, around 12:10 a.m.

It took firefighters 15 minutes to find the fire inside the storage unit. These buildings are metal clad, meaning poor air circulation.

They also have individual roll up doors, which firefighters had to tear through nearly two dozen of them to reach the source. The storage unit that the fire began in was full of motorcycles and mechanical equipment.

"The cutting into doors isn't the hazardous part. It's the contents inside that's the hazardous part," said Eric Henderson, Clark County Fire Department. "One of the units here has propane tanks, oxyactelyene tanks, and other hazards like that that we're unaware of."

The fire was under control in about a half hour.

The fire remains under investigation. No injuries were reported.