NORTH LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Impaired driving continues to be one of the deadliest and most often committed crimes, according to law enforcement.
Now, the North Las Vegas Police Department is joining forces to help crackdown on impaired drivers, as DUI-related crashes have been too much of a common occurrence in Nevada, according to NLVPD.
Officials report someone is injured in a car crash every two minutes, and someone is killed every 53 minutes in the United States in an incident involving an impaired driver.
The extra patrols in North Las Vegas started on Monday and will continue until Sept. 10 in support of the overall state goal of reaching zero fatalities.
Police have also released the following tips to help reduce impaired drivers and riders on the roads:
- Designate a sober driver before drinking.
- Use a taxi, call a sober friend, family member or use public transportation.
- Call 911 if a suspected drunk driver is on the road.
- Take the keys or assist in making other arrangements for someone who is about to drive impaired.
- Call law enforcement, it is better for the impaired driver to be arrested than involved in a crash.
More information about the joining forces program is available here.