What do you get when you bring together the summer sun, thousands of music fans, food, drink and too many artists to list in one story?
It’s music festival season, of course.
Each year, lovers of just about any genre of music can find many places to fill their ears with their favorite artists. It’s a perfect opportunity to combine some weekend trips along with crossing some concerts off the bucket list.
The list of music festivals around the country is loud and long, but here is concert collection to get any music lover started down the road to audio bliss.
- Dates and location: June 3-5, 2016 in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Highlights: Conducted along the Ohio River, Bunbury Music Festival is a three-day event featuring some of the country’s top artists. This year’s lineup includes: The Killers, Ice Cube, Florence + the Machine, Tears for Fears and Of Monsters and Men and more.
- Cost: $89 for single-day tickets; three-day admission tickets are sold out
- Website: www.bunburyfestival.com
- Dates and location: Multiple dates and locations beginning June 22 through August 13, 2016
- Highlights: With 42 shows scheduled from coast to coast, a wide range of musical acts switch in and out for different local dates, making each show a little different. The event typically runs from 11 a.m. through 9 p.m.
- Cost: Prices vary by date and location.
- Website: http://vanswarpedtour.com
- Dates and location: June 9-12, 2016 in Manchester, Tennessee
- Highlights: One of the most popular music festivals in the country blends chart-topping artists including Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Pearl Jam and Chris Stapleton along with up-and-coming acts such as Griz, Blood Orange and Bridget Everett. Other standouts include The Grove, a 700-acre woodlands and The Fountain, a huge, colorful water fountain where festivalgoers can cool off.
- Cost: $349.50 plus fees for general admission; $1,598.50 per pair plus fees. A car camping pass is included with this package.
- Website: www.bonnaroo.com
- Dates and location: June 29 through July 10, 2016 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Highlights: Call this the ultimate music buffet. Dubbed “The World’s Largest Music Festival” on its website, Summerfest 2016 kicks off with Selena Gomez and rolls on with artists such as Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, Paul McCartney, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Barenaked Ladies, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Nelly, Skillet, Weezer and many more. Visit the event’s official webpage for the full artist listing.
- Cost: Prices vary from $20-$90 per show.
- Website: http://summerfest.com
- Dates and location: June 30 through July 3, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Highlights: From classic artists such as Lionel Richie to modern-day music makers like The Roots, Mary J. Blige and Erykah Badu, the Essence Festival is a massive Rhythm and Blues concert combines with motivational speakers.
- Cost: Prices vary (one day tickets, multi-day tickets, VIP packages).
- Website: www.essence.com/festival
- Dates and location: July 15-17, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois
- Highlights: Touted as an indie music festival, Pitchfork is known for having among the best ticket prices in the festival circuit. Standout performers scheduled for this year include Carly Rae Jepsen, Brian Wilson (of The Beach Boys) performing the “Pet Sounds” album and the FKA twigs
- Cost: Single day tickets: $65; Three-day advance tickets: $165.
- Website: http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com
- Dates and location: July 22-July 24, 2016 in Newport, RI
- Highlights: Conducted in Fort Adams State Park, the Newport Folk Festival opens its gates at 10 a.m. and runs through sundown each day. Headliner acts include: Flight of the Conchords, Norah Jones, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Ray LaMontagne and more artists will be announced soon. A special “family tent” encourages music lovers of all ages to enjoy kid-friendly performances and activities, as well. There are multiple campsites in the surrounding area to reserve. Information is on the event’s official website.
- Cost: Prices vary and only fan-to-fan ticket sales are available at this time.
- Website: www.newportfolk.org
- Dates and location: July 28-31, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois
- Highlights: Celebrating its 25th anniversary, Lollapalooza is among the most popular festivals in the word. This year’s lineup of stars is too numerous to fully list, but includes Radiohead, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Third Eye Blind, Lana Del Rey, Jane’s Action and Halsey. There are eight stages and more than 170 bands scheduled to perform. A “mini-fest” will be available for the youngest audience members (Note: kids ages 10 and under get in for free with a parent). Kidzapalooza includes a drum zone, a hop-hop workshop, a hands-on art mural wall, a dance battle zone and more fun activities for the whole family.
- Cost: Prices vary; go to official website for full ticket information.
- Website: lollapalooza.com
- Dates and location: August 5-7, 2016 in Telluride, Colorado
- Highlights: This event moves to the next level. In addition to a solid jazz lineup, including Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Marcus Miller and Galactic, organizers provide a wide range of activities for the crowd. From wine tastings and artist workshops to rafting, fishing and more, there is something for everyone to do. Camping is allowed on festival grounds. Visit the event’s official website for more information.
- Cost: Early bird prices range from $125 to $675. Prices increase in June.
- Website: http://telluridejazz.org
- Dates and location: August 12-14, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia
- Highlights: This is the second year for this punk rock music festival that boasts two outdoor festival states and three indoor club stages. Headliners include Quicksand, L7, Dinosaur Jr. and American Football. Atlanta food trucks will be on hand to provide food options, including vegan and vegetarian options.
- Cost: General admission two-day pass: $110; VIP two-day pass: $199.
- Website: http://wreckingballatl.com/ - home-section