Local News

Actions

Presidential candidates respond to NYC attack

Posted: 8:59 PM, Sep 17, 2016
Updated: 2016-09-17 23:59:00-04
Presidential candidates respond to NYC attack

Presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton gave contrasting responses Saturday evening in the wake of an "intentional" explosion in New York City Saturday evening. 

Speaking on the campaign trail from Colorado, Trump immediately called the incident a "bombing." Trump said this before any details of Saturday's incident that injured 29 people came out. 

"I must tell you that just before I got off the plane, a bomb went off in New York and nobody knows exactly what’s going on," Trump told a crowd Saturday evening. 

Clinton spoke to the media from her campaign plane. Clinton responded to Trump's immediate declaration that the incident was a bombing, even though she also described Saturday's incident as a "bombing."

"It is important to know the facts about any incident on this," Clinton said. "That is why it is important to support the first responders and the investigators. It Is always wiser to wait before making conclusions." 

Clinton said she had been in contact with officials in New York City, and offered praise to first responders. Clinton also said she was briefed on a mass stabbing in Minnesota that injured eight people in a mall.

"We need to do everything we can to support our first responders and pray for the victims," Clinton said.