<p>In this March 15, 2016 photo provided by the Santa Fe Animal Shelter, Dr. Rick Snook, a veterinarian with the Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society, gives Honey, a Dogue de Bordeaux, a hug after examining her at the shelter's Thaw Animal Hospital. The dog swallowed a 6-inch stuffed toy that was lodged in her intestine and was successfully removed following surgery on Monday.(Ben Swan/The Santa Fe Animal Shelter via AP))</p>
Posted at 5:15 PM, Mar 16, 2016
and last updated2016-03-16 20:15:19-04
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A veterinarian helped save the life of an ailing New Mexico dog after discovering the source of the pup's pain — a 6-inch long, 2-inch wide stuffed polar bear.
Santa Fe Animal Humane officials told KRQE-TV in Albuquerque (http://goo.gl/oPZdgH) that the bear was discovered in the dog's stomach during surgery.
A veterinarian said the dog named "Honey" had been sick for about a week and would have likely died within two days.