Local News

Actions

Man loses everything in apartment fire, says it could have been prevented

Posted: 7:02 PM, Jul 16, 2019
Updated: 2019-07-17 03:12:38-04
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 6.27.12 PM.png

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Five adults and two children are without a home due after a fire broke out at the Villas East apartments on Charleston Boulevard and Nellis Boulevard on July 12, causing extensive damage.

Brandon Gates was in his apartment when he heard the crackling of the fire.

He saw his kitchen engulfed in flames and ran outside. Gates lost two of his cats and almost all of his belongings in the fire.

RELATED STORY: Tourist jumps out of car to rescue Las Vegas valley woman from burning apartment

He believes the fire started because of his oven.

Gates showed 13 Action News three different service requests that he made to management asking them to fix a sparking oven and broken stove.

He says they responded two times, the first time saying the stove burners needed to be replaced and the second time replacing the stove with another used appliance.

A few weeks later, the fire broke out.

Gates also says when he and his neighbors were displaced the Red Cross gave them some financial assistance, but the management at their complex has not given them any alternative place to live even though they’ve been told they can’t go inside their homes until an inspection has been completed.