For many years, law enforcement has feared Las Vegas would someday become a target of senseless violence.
That day came on October 1, 2017.
Now that the pain and violence is on our doorstep, Strip properties are taking a hard look at how to protect people even further.
The Wynn Hotel and Casino had a visible security presence Tuesday. Each guest subject to a search and a metal detection screening before entering the property. Wynn Las Vegas would not comment on any new procedures or other precautions.
Casino owner Steve Wynn spoke about his feelings about securing his properties last year.
“I don't want terrible things to happen in Las Vegas, and I certainly don't want anything terrible to happen to the people in my building whether they're my fellow employees or my guests. I'm responsible for the Wynn,” said Wynn.
Wynn has confirmed to 13 Action News he has a specialized team using covert and sophisticated security measures.
“We have another group of a half a dozen SEAL team six guys and CIA guys who are a counterterrorism unit that relates on a daily basis to Homeland Security, the FBI, and Metro,” said Wynn.
“My company has metal detectors and devices at every entrance of the building for employees and guests that are non-visible to the public. We have done extraordinary things to make that sure we protect our employees and our guests at the hotel,” he added.
Contact 13 visited several other properties on the strip, Tuesday. Many had Las Vegas Metropolitan Police vehicles and officers staged outside. Inside, it appeared to be "business as usual."
Regarding increased security, Caesars Entertainment released a statement:
We are constantly reviewing our security policies and practices to keep our guests and employees safe. We are also working very closely with law enforcement, especially Las Vegas Metro, to continue to keep our properties secure.
MGM Resorts International, which owns and operates the Mandalay Bay, has kept security as one of its highest priorities. However, it’s unclear what changes, if any, will be made following the mass shooting.
MGM Resorts Spokesperson Debra DeShong released a statement Wednesday:
Security continues to be a top priority at all of MGM Resorts as our Security team is working tirelessly to protect the safety of our guests and facilities. MGM Resorts has increased its level of security to add to the level of comfort and safety of our guests and employees. The Company has procedures in place related to the safety of our guests and employees and it remains of utmost importance for our security team.
MGM Resorts works consistently with local and national law enforcement agencies to keep procedures at our resorts up to date, and are always improving and evolving. We continue that close working relationship now during the ongoing investigation into this tragic incident.