Local News

Actions

Las Vegas sheriff, mayor talk about New Year's Eve party preparations

Posted at 11:31 AM, Dec 27, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-28 00:14:24-05

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Sheriff Lombardo, Mayor Carolyn Goodman, and others talked about New Year's Eve preparations on Dec. 27.

The sheriff says that more than 375,000 people are expected to be in Las Vegas for NYE. He also said that it will be "all hands on deck" that night for all Southern Nevada Safety Agencies, the F.B.I. and National Guard.

The Department of Homeland Security has given this year's New Year's Eve celebration a special event assessment rating of II (2). A SEAR II rating means that Las Vegas will get air support, dogs, federal agents, and a dedicated mobile radio system.

Last year's party after the 1 October mass shooting was rated I (1).

Another change this year is how the Las Vegas Police Department is handling their "strike force." The department will be continuing their DUI team, which combined with the Nevada Highway Patrol launched in October. The strike team will be out in the central part of the valley New Years Eve.

Officers will be set up in the doorways of every resort property on the Las Vegas Strip and Fremont Street this year. Once again, no strollers, backpacks or glass containers will be allowed on the Las Vegas Strip.

Attendees are also being encouraged to say something if they see something. Concerned citizens can call 702-828-7777.

"It is really up to each one of us to be the eyes and ears to help law enforcement and out first responders," Mayor Goodman said.