LAS VEGAS (KTNV) - It is a night a Las Vegas family will never forget.
"It is very hard as a father to watch the house burn down, and knowing your daughter is in there,” said Paul, whose daughter was rescued.
Their family home burst into flames, trapping their 4-year-old daughter Natalie inside, near Sahara Avenue and Grand Canyon Drive in July.
First responders were honored Wednesday at the Las Vegas City Council meeting with certificates for their bravery and commitment in helping rescue the girl.
"The heat inside the building was intense, and visibility was near zero because of the smoke, but Engine 47 would not be deterred and located the little girl behind the door,” said Las Vegas Ward 2 Councilman Steve Seroka.
Her lifeless body was found after a desperate search by firefighters. Rescuers found her just in time and were able to revive her.
A neighbor also tried to rescue the girl.
"I want to emphasize that this was a team effort, everybody doing their part,” said Capt. Jim Gordon with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.
The family is grateful for the efforts of the firefighters.
"She is here now, and as you heard the captain said she's going to have her fifth birthday and she's going to be very spoiled,” Paul said.