Local News


Storage facility fire burns down family business

Posted at 5:34 PM, Apr 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-19 10:32:52-04
A family of valley business owners lost everything in the fire at a storage facility about a week ago, and they just want someone to take responsibility.
Dan Nance runs a food stand called The Sandy Crab with his daughter. He keeps a 16-foot box truck and 20-foot cargo trailer at the storage center on Lake Mead Boulevard and Tenaya Way, and in them is his daughter's food stand. 
"This past Saturday the 16th, I was going to load some more stuff into the box truck for the festival coming up," said Nance. "We pulled in by our truck and we were shocked."
That was when Nance saw the damage and became aware there was a fire there. He said everything he had stored there was a total loss. He is upset he had to find out by going to the facility, instead of being informed by people running the business.
"Seven days after it occurred, the facility didn't even have the decency to call the customers up, and not only me, I know of other customers," Nance said.
He is also concerned about propane tanks he saw on property, a clear violation of the contract. 
"If someone brought propane tanks or flammables, why didn't the facility contact those people and say, 'hey you gotta get these things out of here,'" said Nance.
Nance told 13 Action News he was told by management that the propane tanks did not cause the fire, but did make the fire worse.
Now, he says his daughter is out of business just weeks before Foodie Fest and losing money with each event she can't go to.
"Not only our personal property, but our businesses are gone, our livelihood is gone," he said. "Someone is responsible for this."
13 Action News went into the office to ask them the same questions Nance has.
Not only did they refuse to speak with us, but they also refused to give us contact information for the business owner.