Local News

Actions

Henderson Fire Department: Poorly discarded cigarette causes house fire

cig fire SOURCE Henderson Fire Department.jpeg
cig fire SOURCE Henderson Fire Department 2.jpeg
Posted at 4:04 PM, Jun 14, 2020

HENDERSON (KTNV) — Firefighters say a "poorly discarded cigarette" started a fire on the front porch of a Henderson home, displacing a family of seven and causing $145,000 in damage.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to the fire on Magnesium Street, near Lake Mead Parkway and Water Street, around 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Upon arrival, crews saw a one-story single family home fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters organized an offensive fire attack and entered the house to quickly extinguish the fire.

Four engines, one truck, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire.

There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters.

Five adults, two children and five dogs were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

A City of Henderson senior fire investigator, NV Energy and Southwest Gas Corp. responded to help secure the property.

The Henderson Police Department assisted with traffic and crowd control while Magnesium Street was closed for about an hour.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to a poorly discarded cigarette.

The total estimated loss is valued at $145,000.