Local News


Electrical fire damages strip mall

Posted at 6:16 AM, May 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-03 21:02:32-04
The Henderson Fire Department responded to a commercial structure fire at 1405 W. Sunset Rd. this morning at about 5:10 a.m.
The first arriving engine crew observed smoke and flames coming from the front overhang and mansard roof of a single-story strip mall. Firefighters attacked the fire from the interior ceiling and exterior roof structure to bring the fire under control and prevent it from spreading to adjacent businesses.
Eight engines, two trucks and two rescue units responded to the fire. Henderson Fire crews were assisted by the Clark County Fire Department.
Fire damage was contained to a jewelry store and sandwich shop, which were closed and unoccupied when the fire started. A neighboring bagel shop was safely evacuated.
There were no injuries to bystanders or firefighters.
The fire was reported by several motorists who were driving by and noticed smoke coming from the strip mall roof, prompting them to call 9-1-1.
A City of Henderson Fire Investigator, Henderson Police, NV Energy and Southwest Gas Corp. assisted in securing the property.
Eastbound lanes on West Sunset Road were closed for about two hours.
The cause of the electrical fire was determined to be accidental. Total loss is estimated at $150,000.