Local News

Actions

Fireworks spark overnight house fire in Las Vegas

Arbor Drive fire_1.jpg
Arbor Drive fire_2.jpg
Arbor Drive_fire_4.jpg
Posted at 2:19 PM, Jun 20, 2020

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Las Vegas firefighters responded to a house fire late Friday night that they say was sparked by fireworks.

Fire crews from Las Vegas Fire and Rescue responded to a home at 5116 Arbor Drive at about 11:50 p.m. with reports of smoke coming from the roof.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in under 10 minutes, according to LV Fire, after they found improperly disposed of fireworks in a trash container that caught fire outside against a garage wall.

Breaking News for Las Vegas on June 19

Crews said it appeared that a large number of fireworks that were used earlier were put into the trash container, which caught fire and moved up the wall to the attic.

No injuries were reported in the incident, but the fire displaced the family of five, with damages estimated at about $25,000.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue said safe and sane fireworks are permitted in the city only from June 28 through the Fourth of July, and it is not uncommon for firefighters to respond to trash container fires during the Fourth of July holiday period.

Fire officials say spent fireworks should be soaked in a bucket of water for at least an hour before being in a trash container as they can remain hot for an extended amount of time and start trash on fire in the container.