Firefighters extinguished an apartment fire near Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard Sunday morning.
Firefighters responded to the blaze around 7:30 a.m. in the 200 block of West Cincinnati Avenue.
Three of the four units in the apartment were vacant and boarded up. One unit was still occupied and firefighters assisted the sleeping residents out of the apartment and several pets. No one was injured.
Because of heavy smoke from the apartment below, three occupants in the second floor apartment were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Fire investigators said the fire started in one of the vacant downstairs apartments. A mattress burned and a small area on a wall. Damage was estimated at $2,500.
Fire investigators said the apartment appeared it was being used by squatters.