Local News

Actions

Firefighters rescue woman during condo fire

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 2:24 PM, Aug 27, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-27 17:24:07-04

Firefighters rescued a woman during a condo fire early Saturday morning.
 
Fire dispatchers received 911 calls at 1:57 a.m. Saturday that smoke was coming from one unit at The Residence at Canyon Gate, located at 2200 S. Fort Apache Road, near Sahara Avenue. On arrival, smoke was showing from a second-floor condo unit.

Firefighters forced entry into the unit and found a fire in the kitchen. While crews were attacking the fire in the smoke-filled unit, they conducted a search and found the occupant in bed. They pulled the victim out and took her to a waiting ambulance.

She was covered in soot and started coughing. She was taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation. Her injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
 
The fire started on the stove and extended to the cabinets above. Fire investigators found one of the burners on the stove in the on position. The occupant told fire investigators she did not remember much about the previous night and was not sure if she was cooking.  

It appeared that the victim was impaired. Fire investigators said there were smoke alarms in the unit but the victim apparently did not hear them.
 
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue ruled the fire accidental. Fire damage was confined to the kitchen. The rest of the unit had smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $15,000.

Firefighters from the Clark County Fire Department also assisted at the fire.