Its the season for 'porch pirates' according to delivery service companies.
Having an online order stolen from a home after the carrier delivers it is a concern for many Americans.
This also a growing problem for retailers, driving up replacement costs and increasing customer service calls from unhappy customers, according to FedEx.
Research conducted by the company indicated that 71 percent of Americans were open to receiving packages at a convenient location that is already part of their regular itinerary, such as a pharmacy or grocery store - and FedEx is responding with that option.
U.S. consumers may pick up or drop off their FedEx packages at more than 12,000 locations, including more than 8,900 Walgreens and Rite Aid locations, 1,900 FedEx Office locations, select Albertsons and FedEx Authorized Ship Center locations.
Consumers can visit here to find a package drop off or a nearby delivery site.
“Package theft continues to be a real concern for consumers and retailers alike,” said Randy Scarborough, FedEx vice president of retail marketing. “They want convenient and secure options for package delivery. To fulfill that need, FedEx has developed alliances with major retailers that millions of Americans already visit as part of their normal, everyday routine.”
FedEx also shared a few package security tips:
- Consider an alternate destination. When you order something online, consider sending the package to a family member, friend or neighbor who is home during the day to accept delivery.
- Send it to your nearest FedEx Retail location. You can have your deliveries sent to the nearest FedEx Retail location, and we’ll hold it for you for up to five business days.
- Request a signature. Many packages today are sent without requiring a signature for delivery. If you’re shipping something of high value — or you just want to be sure items aren’t left unattended — you can require a signature for packages to be released. Only the shipper can make this request.
- Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager, which gives customers more control to customize home deliveries to fit their schedules. Sign up is free at fedex.com/delivery. With FedEx Delivery Manager, a customer has the following options:
- Request to hold your delivery for pickup at a FedEx location.
- Request special delivery instructions for the delivery driver such as leaving your package at the back door or a side door.
- Reschedule your delivery time.
- Request to reroute your package to deliver to another location
- Sign for a package remotely.
- Request a vacation hold. Taking a holiday trip to visit family or friends? You can request a vacation hold on all shipments for up to 14 days.
- Receive a delivery notification.
Any customer who suspects that a package has been stolen should first contact police, according to the company, and if a customer is concerned about the security of a FedEx package they can call 1-800-GO FEDEX.