Local News


Electrical fire displaces 5

Posted at 2:42 PM, May 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-08 21:25:47-04

An electrical fire displaced 5 people Friday night.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue reported the fire happened around 10:50 p.m. in the 200 block of Bengal Place, near Cimarron Road and Westcliff Drive.

When firefighters arrived, nothing was showing from the house. When firefighters entered the home, they found the upstairs full of thick smoke, enough they could not see and there was little heat.  Firefighters opened a window which allowed much of the smoke to escape and found a small fire in one of the bedrooms. They had the fire out in one minute.
The fire was confined to the bedroom. There was smoke damage on the second floor of house. Damage was estimated at $5,000.
The fire was determined to be accidental. Firefighters believe the fire started with a battery charger for a toy in the bedroom. It started the carpet on fire, which spread to the bed.  

That activated the smoke alarm which notified occupants to escape. They all escaped without injury.
The American Red Cross assisted two adults and three children after the incident.