UPDATE JAN. 22: Councilman Ricki Barlow announced his resignation on Monday.
He said that he has pleaded guilty to federal charges of using campaign money for personal use in 2015.
#BREAKING: Ricki Barlow has just announced that he is resigning. Says he has plead guilty to federal charges of using campaign money for personal use in 2015 @KTNV pic.twitter.com/DV4hEpQXwl
— Austin Carter KTNV (@AustinKTNV) January 22, 2018
He released his resignation letter, which details that his resignation is effective at 5 p.m. Monday.
In the letter, Barlow said, "I am deeply ashamed of my conduct leading to my decision to plead guilty to a federal felony charge, specifically, fraudulently converting campaign funds to my own personal use during my 2015 re-election campaign. That shame is as dark and abiding for me as my gladness for my City Council service is bright and enduring."
UPDATE JAN. 17: The effort to recall Councilman Ricki Barlow has failed.
13 Action News was told three people signed the request, but none of them had voted in the city's general election last year and only one voted in 2015. By law, petitioners are required to have voted in the preceding general election.
A letter of intent to recall Ricki Barlow was filed Tuesday by constituent Josh Johnson.
He says that Barlow has not done enough for Ward 5 in Las Vegas.
Councilman Ricki Barlow has served on the city council since 2007.