Local News

Actions

Discarded cigarette causes Lake Las Vegas clubhouse fire

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:35 AM, Dec 17, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-17 13:35:37-05

A cigarette discarded near an outside laundry bin started a fire at the SouthShore Golf Club clubhouse early Saturday morning.

One engine company responded to a reported water flow alarm at a commercial structure located at 100 Strada Di Circolo in the Lake Las Vegas area around 1:15 a.m.

No smoke or fire was observed when the crew first arrived. After further investigation of the large two-story building, the crew discovered a fire in an exterior wall and extending into the attic.

Additional resources were dispatched and an offensive fire attack was initiated inside the building. Firefighters used handlines and coordinated vertical ventilation to extinguish the fire.

The building’s fire sprinkler system kept the fire in check until crews arrived. An alarm monitoring service reported the incident after a water flow alarm was activated.

The business was closed at the time of the fire. There were no injuries.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. The estimated loss is $60,000.