UPDATE: Police release new details on alleged RTC bus shooter

UPDATE 9:50 P.M. SEPT 1: Police have released new details on that frightening standoff after a man opens fire on an RTC bus in the middle of the day. According to an arrest report a mom, who recently gave birth, was onboard as the shots rang out

Police say Brett Sporich is at the center of the bizarre shooting. According to the report, on Wednesday, Sporich, in a wheelchair, went into a McDonalds near Nellis and Bonanza.

In the report, witnesses told police, Sporich was acting erratically. Witnesses said Sporich loaded a .38-caliber revolver and clenched his fists, making "clawing motions at his chest."

They said Sporich repeatedly muttered "it didn't used to be like this." witnesses told police Sporich rolled his wheelchair onto the bus, pulled out a gun and fired three shots, shouting "I'm not going back to jail!"

According to the report, a man begged Sporich, to let off him and his spouse, who recently gave birth. That couple and everyone else onboard eventually get out unharmed.

Sporich was arrested, charged with firing a gun inside a bus.

UPDATE SEPT. 1: According to a police report, Brett Sporich said he was not going to hurt anyone and he fired three rounds to see if his gun worked. He told police he was then going to shoot himself in the head.

 

 

UPDATE 11:50 P.M. AUG. 30:  13 Action News is speaking with friends and neighbors of the alleged shooter.  Police identify the suspect as Brett Sporich. Right now, he's likely to face a charge of firing into an occupied structure. 

"He comes over to my house all the time," said friend Allen Taylor. 

Taylor lives in the same senior living facility as Sporich.

Taylor, and several other neighbors, tell 13 Action News the suspect has never been armed or violent in the past. They are struggling to understand the events of today.

We're told the suspect, who is in a wheelchair, had been experiencing extra pain lately.

13 Action News is requesting to speak with him from CCDC.

UPDATE 4:52 P.M.: RTC released a statement regarding the incident. 

“Today’s incident has caused a tremendous amount of stress for our community. Most importantly, we are grateful there are no reported injuries. We are working very closely with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and our contractor to understand the facts of what occurred. This incident further demonstrates the need for a live camera feed inside our buses that can be easily shared with law enforcement. The RTC is currently testing such a pilot program and hopes to obtain all necessary approvals to install the software system-wide by year-end.”

-- Angela Castro, RTC senior director of government affairs, media and marketing.

UPDATE 3:47 P.M.: Las Vegas police say the suspect inside the bus has been taken into custody. No injuries were reported. 

Nearby roads will reopen shortly.

All school lockdowns near the area have been lifted, according to the Clark County School District.

ORIGINAL STORY

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) -- Las Vegas police responded to shots fired on a bus Wednesday afternoon.

The incident occurred on a bus in front of the McDonald's, located at 836 N. Nellis Blvd., near Bonanza Road.

Police said the suspect, who was in a wheelchair, had a some sort of ordering issue at the McDonald's, and left angry.

Police said he then got on a nearby bus where witnesses said the man began shouting and pulled out a gun and fired shots.

"He said I ain't going to jail, the second time he pulled out a gun and shot it three times," a witness said. "Police then arrived and said get off the bus, get off the bus."

13 Action News spoke to one woman who was inside the McDonald's and was literally shaking with fear when she talked about watching this suspect as he loaded a gun.

"He loaded the gun and put it back in the holster. ... But they asked him to leave because he did that," she said.

Nellis Boulevard was closed between Bonanza Road and Harris Avenue and nearby businesses were evacuated. Bonanza Road was closed between Ute Lane and Lillian Street.

At least five schools -- Robison Middle School, Eldorado High School, Stanford Elementary School, Mater Academy and Equipo Academy -- were on lockdown as a result.

Parents at Kids First Preschool were told that they cannot pick up their children.


This is a developing story. Check back to 13 Action News for updates.

Print this article Back to Top