Local News

Actions

UPDATE: 16-year-old to be charged as adult in December bus shooting

Posted at 5:59 PM, Dec 15, 2016

UPDATE ON MAY 2: 16-year-old Royal Love-Camp is being charged as an adult in the RTC bus shooting last December.

According to the arrest warrant from Dec. 22, Jonathan Potter was on the bus with his girlfriend when three males, including Love-Camp, began talking with Potter's girlfriend about tattoos and showing theirs. Eventually, one of the three males rang the bell to stop at Washington Avenue and Virgil Street to exit the bus.

Potter then approached the three males and punched one of the males in the face as the bus came to a stop. Police said Love-Camp exited the bus, placed a coffee cup he was holding on the curb before bringing out a black handgun and aimed the gun at Potter before shooting him.

The three males then fled from the bus.

The bus traveled to the next stop at Washington Avenue and Pecos Road and stopped until police and medical could arrive.

An anonymous citizen identified Love-Camp as the shooter in the incident, which a group supervisor at Caliente Youth Center confirmed. Love-Camp had been in custody at Caliente Youth Center about a year before the shooting.

Another counselor at the Caliente camp said Love-Camp was on juvenile parole for robbery with a deadly weapon.

UPDATE ON MAY 1: On April 29 at 7 p.m., a 16-year-old male was arrested in the parking lot of 4505 W. Charleston Blvd. and booked in the Clark County Juvenile Detention Center on one count of murder.

Detectives have identified the two other men involved in the shooting and they are no longer sought after.

UPDATE ON DEC. 19: Police have released surveillance video of the suspects. Detectives are urging anyone who may have been a passenger on this bus at approximately 5:30 to 5:45 p.m. on Dec. 15 to contact investigators at 702-828-3521 if they have not already been interviewed. The bus in question was traveling westbound on East Washington Avenue between North Nellis Boulevard and North Pecos Road.

 

UPDATE AT 12:10 P.M. DEC. 16: Police have released descriptions for the 3 people connected to the shooting that left one person dead.

The shooter is believed to be a black male, 15 or 16 years old, 5-feet 2-inches tall and thin. The second person is a black male between 18 and 20 years old, 5-feet 9-inches tall, medium build, and goatee. The third person is also a black male between 18 and 20 years old and 5-feet 9-inches tall. A tattoo featuring roses and a name could be seen on his chest.

Anyone with information should call 702-828-3521. This is the 161 homicide in Las Vegas this year.

UPDATE ON DEC. 16: The Las Vegas man who was shot on the bus has been identified as Jonathan Larkin-Michael Potter. He was 20 years old at the time of his death.

UPDATE AT 7:20 P.M.: Police say that the victim has died. The Clark County coroner will release the man's name after his relatives have been notified. It is now a homicide investigation.

Witnesses told police that the shooter appeared to be approximately 15 or 16 years old.

ORIGINAL STORY

Las Vegas police say a man was shot in the stomach on a city bus near the intersection of Pecos Road and Washington Avenue.

Police say that the man and his girlfriend got into an argument with 3 men on the bus. When the men got off the bus, one of the turned around and shot back into the bus.

The man, who is believed to be in his 20s, was transported to UMC Trauma in critical condition. The shooting was reported at 5:45 p.m.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.