LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The man accused of shooting Las Vegas police officer Shay Mikalonis is back in court.
Police say 20-year-old Edgar Samaniego shot officer Milkalonis in front of Circus Circus during protests back in June and Thursday he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
PREVIOUS STORY: Guard says he saw man shoot at protest, wound Vegas officer
Samaniego is facing the following charges:
- Attempted murder with a deadly weapon
- Battery with use of a deadly weapon resulting in substantial bodily harm
- 3 counts of assault with deadly weapon
- Discharging a weapon where a person might be endangered
- 2 counts of discharging a firearm from or within a structure
A pre-trial hearing date of Dec. 1 was set in court. Samaniego will also receive the services of a public defender.
Officer Mikalonis is currently at a long-term rehabilitation center out of state.
The shooting left him paralyzed from the neck down.